Monday 2 December 2013

Liam Takes His Moustache, Guitar and Hat to India Part 1: leaving Nottingham and arriving in New Delhi via Heathrow


Nottingham, November 12th

I was still getting things in the centre, and it was nearly time to go!!! I rushed back to the flat on a slow bus in traffic. Bella said that the bus we must take was at 35 past and I arrived at here flat, running, at about half past. We ran with the stuff to the bus stop. In time!!! But then Sion phoned and we didn’t get on the 36, which we should have got although it doesn’t go all the way to the station. The one that does didn’t show up when it was supposed to. Nor did the next one. Another 36 went past, and we were just about to call a cab when the Indigo finally arrived. We got on but soon realised that it was going too slowly, stuck in traffic, so we might not make it. Bella showed great courage and decisiveness by calling a cab to meet us en route. We disembarked from the bus by Savoy and our cab was waiting across the road (or at least, a cab was there which we waved at assuming it to be ours…we’ll never know).
We told him when our train was and he was unimpressed and thought we should have called a cab much earlier. I was so stressed; my heart was pumping!!!! At every red light we went “noooo! Turn green!” We arrived outside the entrance with about 5 mins to go, and Bella ran out to get her ticket from the machine. I paid him 5.70 (she insisted on tipping him which was very nice of her as he did deserve it, but I was stingy and gave him 30p less than she ordered me to give him [this was what was in my hand after I put the other pound back in my pocket thinking I wouldn’t need it]).
I struggled to get my stuff from the car, then ran through the corridor to the platforms. Bella had her ticket so she grabbed my guitar and we ran down the stairs. We caught the train with under two minutes to go until departure.

Chatted to one of the studio heads Nicola Gerber on the train and told her about my plan to go to India. It was nice bumping into her. Then, finally, I could ring Sion and Paul back and organise the dinner out in London. But the signal was so bad and Bella and I wanted to watch Princess Monoke, which I’d bought earlier in the centre. Thankfully, Sion and Paul organised it. So Bella and I met Sion, Paul and Adam in St Pancras and we went to Pizza Express where we had very nice time.
Bella slept on the tube to our hostel and I chatted to an interesting Travelling Englishman who happened to be a Jehovas Witness.


Heathrow, Nov 13th & India Nov 14th

The plan, AirIndia, was really nice! And so was food. And there were lots of films to watch and music to listen too from a screen on the back of the seats. Better than easyjet!  

(This next paragraph has uesful advice for those arriving at Delhi International Airport, but you can skip if you don't care about taxi prices etc)
Arrival at the airport I arrived in good spirits, got currency (good exchange rate here), and bought a pre-booked taxi to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram for 410 rupees. However, the men outside kept insisting that I had to pay more; one really annoying, desperate person kept saying the ticket was only for my luggage and I had to pay him Rs.900 to get to the Ashram. He tried really hard to get me into a cab. Some other cabbies said “our friend is only joking, this is pre-paid cabs” and eventually a quiet, moustached, thin, dark-skinned man succeeded in putting my stuff in the cab and, without much response to my continued insistence that I would not pay more, he honked me out of the airport. He really had to honk a lot, because the taxi we entered got into was completely surrounded by parked cabs. We drove along wide, dark roads past urban wasteland, trees and slums until we reached the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. He kindly waited for me to be let in, and I gave him a tip as he was honest and did not ask for more money. I think he was only quiet because he couldn’t speak much English. He wasn’t originally from Delhi.

Although it was about midnight in the UK, I found it hard to sleep. It was just me and one other man in a large, very basic dorm. After a few hours and a small amount of sleep I awoke for breakfast: slightly spicy pasta/noodles, bread, warm milk. A good Liam breakfast! I met a retired accountant who was very nice. He showed me the sterilized water machine. So no need for my expensive UV SteriPen!!!

I asked the reception for Sanjay Prakash’s number (he's the director of Studio for Habitat Futures) and told him I'd arrived.
I had a good sleep for the rest of the morning and woke for lunch: rice, naan, and various vegetarian curries and pulses, some of which were interesting new flavours for me.
A young architect called Gaurav Sinha was sent from the office to meet me at the Ashram. He got me a padlock from a nearby shop for my stuff and then took me on the back of his motorbike through Delhi to the office. This was my first experience of Delhi in the daytime, and it was very exciting. Luckily he brought a spare helmet for me. He said the police were strict on that these days, which is surprising but good to know. 

On the way I saw an Indian man riding an extravagantly decorated white horse with rings on his fingers and bells on his toes
Yes, the road is quite crazy, and really, really busy. But it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. And Gaurav assured me that it was ordered chaos.

My new colleague took me through a door and up a staircase to the Studio For Habitat Futures where I met the studio leader, Mayank and the others. All very young; I guess many of them have quite recently graduated. I was introduced to the projects which all sound very exciting. I’ll be working on a few at one time.
My first task was to do some hand renders of some sections for a presentation of the IICT-Jodphur campus masterplan.
I was a bit slow but the drawings were satisfactory.
There are two in-house waiter/servants, Jitin and Subhash, who bring us water, tea, coffee and Indian sweets!!! This is really great.

Most of the people I met struggled to understand my accent though because I think I talk too fast and too indecisively.

Got a lift back some of the way on another colleague’s motorcycle, this time with no helmet, at night (no police at night, you see)!! But the scariest part was crossing the road after he dropped me off. I walked up the road as instructed but I went too far, and ended up in a busy, interesting, poor and dirty looking area. The main street side of a slum I guess. So I asked a few locals (a teenager with his mum looked like a safe bet) and went back the way I came, eventually finding it.

At dinner I met Sarah, from California, studying East Asian religions and yoga with an ambition to become some kind of guru, and Shiv, a local lawyer. He kindly invited us to his father’s boutique hotel where we drank chai and ate some delicious sweet syrupy thing. He dropped us back (in his posh white car). I showered and now I’m here writing this, still with no internet access and only 1600 rupees…(need to load up my Indian Rupee Bank card soon!!!).

Good night, diary and patient readers x
(I can’t wait to sleep now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment